We can never go back to the way things were. Now is a time for collective imagining -- to imagine what we will keep from our past to move into a shared vision of The Future. What can be learned in retrospect? How do we transform what isn’t working? How can we, as a community, call for the phoenix to rise from the ashes? Kat Wright and Stephanie Wilson guide us through a musical immersion of our collective pulse during critical times. Retro Spec will take the current moment to levels of technicolor retrospect never seen before. Can music and story embolden us to act in times of divisions and uncertainty? You be the judge.
Note: We are completely sold out and at CDC capacity guidelines for Saturday! Please do not come to the park. There are unlimited tickets available to stream from home.
RETRO SPEC is a socially-distanced spectacle that uses outdoor cinema to stream a live, theatrical performance. The performance is best described as a single take music video happening simultaneously in a separate location. An injection of creative consciousness that braids together the music of Kat Wright, Juptr, and Smalltalker, RETRO SPEC is a collaboration between 12 area artists who have come together to respond to racial inequity and increasing division in our country: with their bodies, with their voices, and with this vision. Recognizing the isolation and stress of a global pandemic, RETRO SPEC is as much a spell-casting salve as it is an instigation of collective action. Conceived and directed by Trish Denton, the event brings together artists and community for a live performance that is adaptable, resilient, and engaged. With a commitment to safety and the power of community during difficult times, In Tandem Arts has partnered with BCA to bring RETRO SPEC to the big screen. Under the stars, we invite our guests to explore their most hopeful & utopian impulses, asking,
What are future visions for the world you want to live in?
Kat Wright, Stephanie Wilson, Myles David Jewell, Nico Osborne, Lauren Bomeisl, Ruth Meteer, Adaline Herbert, Lilly Xian, Audrey Tassey-Ayer, Christy Rosario, Trish Denton
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Streaming sales end at 5:30 pm the day of each event.
- THERE ARE NO EXCHANGES OR REFUNDS.
- Due to CDC guidelines, there are limited tickets available on-site. There are unlimited tickets available to stream, so please spread the word far and wide!
- Water Works Park is a new park that is located between the Moran Plant and Burlington Harbor Marina on Burlington's Waterfront. It is located behind The Department of Water. No pets are allowed in the park at this event.
- PLEASE TRY TO ATTEND IN A GROUP OF 4. This helps the pod system work!
If you are streaming from home, you will receive an email with the livestream link to access the performance the day of the show. Please be sure that you register your ticket under an email where we can reach you.
- Streaming sales end at 5:30 pm the day of each event. There will be no exceptions.
If you're able, please bike or walk to the venue. Please plan to lock up bikes on racks near the skate park.
- If driving, park in the public parking lots on either side of the skate park. These are kiosk metered spaces. There is additional parking on Lake St. or across from Main Street Landing. There will be no parking in the lot closest to Water Works, which must be left available to Burlington Harbor Marina patrons.
- Gates are at 7:30 pm. The show begins “at dark”. In order to seat our guests safely and properly distanced, please arrive early and expect to wait in line. Ushers will guide you to a pod that reflects your ticket selection. The show starts when it starts.
- This is an all ages event.
Please plan to bring your ticket on your phone or a print out to be scanned by box office. We will not be handling cash or paper tickets.
- A limited number of spots will be sold to walk-ups after all ticketed guests are seated.
- No pets are allowed at this event.
Everyone must wear a mask at all times, regardless of distance. Our staff and volunteers will be wearing masks.
- The performers will not be wearing masks, but will be in a separate location.
FOOD AND DRINK
- There will be no food or alcohol served. This is an alcohol free event. If you bring your own snacks or beverages, you are expected to carry out your own trash and recycling. Please remember, masks must be worn at all times.
- This is a completely open air venue in a public park. The park has been divided into "pods" that range from 8 ft. to 10 ft. spacing around each seating area.
We encourage people to come in groups of 4 if possible. We will trust guest judgment on larger groups and can merge pods with discretion. Please only attend this event with people whom you are comfortable sitting close to.
- The back sections are ideal for couples in chairs. The grass and front seats are ideal for groups. The tables will be sold as one unit for up to four people.
- There are 4 sections of “pods”: 1) Private tables along the boardwalk closest to the Moran Plant with chairs provided, 2) There are two rows for folks needing or choosing to sit in chairs in the back. You must bring your own chair, 3) The largest section is the grassy lawn, which can accommodate bigger parties sharing pods. You should bring your own blanket, 4) For the heartier, there are a select few front row seats. These are on a hard surface and require a low to the ground seat. You must bring your own yoga mat, roll-out, or beach/sand chair.
- Please plan to stay in your pod and not mingle during the event.
There is a public restroom at Burlington Harbor Marina that closes at 9 pm. Restrooms are few and far between at this location, so please be prepared to wait in a line and/or use the restroom before the performance.
- The performance will begin “at dark”. When all guests are properly seated and the sunset has subdued, the show will begin. The performance consists of two suites. The first is 25 minutes, there will be a 15 minute intermission, followed by the main program which runs 45 minutes. Please be prepared for 90 minutes of viewing.
- The content of the show is intended for all ages. There is a strong moral message and powerful imagery. There is reference to death by violence, as well as mild sexuality.
- We ask that you consider the prompt, “What are future visions of the world you want to live in?” For a few brave volunteers, there may be a no-contact opportunity to share your vision with us. Can you describe this future world in 3 minutes or less? Can you make it a story?
- At the conclusion of the show, please give yourself time to exit with appropriate spacing. Event staff will be onsite to facilitate exiting.
- The general idea is that we will exit the park from BACK TO FRONT, meaning that the guests closest to the water will exit first, and those closest to the screen will exit last.
- We ask that people do not linger in the park, as we will need to reset the space as found for the park to reopen to the public the next day.
RAIN OR EXTREME WEATHER
- In the event of rain or extreme weather, ALL guests will be sent a link to live stream the event. There will be no rain date or refunds for the ticket purchase. The purchase of tickets is how we fund the creation of the show, so thank you for supporting independent, local artists!
If you decide to purchase a table, please be committed knowing that there are no refunds despite of the threat of weather or cancellation. This premium seating is limited and holds are not something we can accommodate during the pandemic. It is a gamble, so thank you for your understanding.
- There will be no refunds of ticket purchases. Ticket sales fund the creation of the project and support the community-based work of In Tandem Arts. Thanks for fostering independent, local arts and culture!
If you decide to purchase a table, please be committed knowing that there are no refunds despite of the threat of weather or cancellation. This premium seating is limited and holds are not something we can accommodate. Yes, it is a gamble, so thank you for your understanding the risk of pandemic gathering.
- All guests are expected to adhere to CDC and Vermont guidelines in relation to social distancing while attending the event:
- If you are sick, running a fever or have been exposed to COVID-19, do not attend this event. Please stay home until you are healthy.
- For the safety of yourself and others, please only attend this event with people in your immediate quarantine circle or pod.
- You must maintain 6 feet of social distance between yourself and those outside of your immediate quarantine circle at all times.
- At the conclusion, please give yourself time to exit with appropriate spacing. Event staff will be onsite to facilitate exiting. We ask that guests exit the park promptly after the show.